Sunday, April 28, 2013

How to propagate Aeoniums from cuttings

I liked Aeoniums the first time a saw them and still do. They seem to have universal appeal as even people who don't like succulent plants tend to have a soft spot for the Aeonium. I suppose they don't have the classic succulent look about them. What they do have are magnificent leaves and peculiar shaped inflorescences of flowers. There are about 35 different species of Aeoniums and most are from the Canary Islands. From the experience I've had with the Aeoniums at my place I would definitely describe them as a low maintenance plant. I only water them once in a blue moon and they seem to tolerate a mild amount of frost. 



The magnificent rosette of leaves of an Aeonium plant.





Another angle of the same type of Aeonium.





The wonderful inflorescence of flowers they produce. You will need to wait a couple of years before they are mature enough to flower.


PROPAGATION TECHNIQUE

Aeoniums are a really easy plant to propagate from cuttings as is the case with many succulent plants. As such they are suited to beginners. They require little skill, no greenhouse and as yet I've never had one that didn't strike roots (100% success rate).

SUPPLIES NEEDED
  • A pair of secateurs
  • A mature and healthy Aeonium plant to take cuttings from
  • A cactus / succulent mix to plant the cuttings in
  • Pots
TIMING

The most important thing to know when trying to propagate Aeoniums from cuttings is the timing. Aeoniums will only produce roots during their active growth period which is the cooler months of the year if you live in a place with really hot Summers. In somewhere like Melbourne Australia I would avoid trying to propagate them in the peak of Summer.

METHOD

Assuming you have the timing down you need to then cut off a rosette of leaves from the mother plant leaving enough stem to plant the cutting (say 5cm at the least). You then dry the cutting a little by leaving it on newspaper overnight or maybe 2 nights if you want. You then plant the cutting into a pre watered pot of cactus / succulent potting mix and that's all! I never use rooting hormone or any of that jazz as I you don't need it with Aeoniums. I keep the potting mix damp for about a month or until the plants grow a little. After that they don't need much attention.

Have fun propagating :)



Below are a couple of cuttings I have taken from the mother plant.




Some more cuttings in place in their pots




This is one I did about 1 year ago. Its a tought little plant I've let it go dry for weeks and it looks really healthy.



3 comments:

  1. yes they are quite appealing...the piece you gave me has really taken on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep they are really easy. I got cuttings from 2 other different species of Aeonium from NMIT yesterday. On Thurs I will try and get 1 more.

      Delete