Saturday, January 5, 2013

Hollyhocks in Macedon at long last

Finally my Hollyhocks have started to flower in the Macedon garden. I have been on a mission to grow them since planting some Hollyhock seeds during a short course I did at Melbourne University Burnley campus almost two years ago. That course was the beginning of my education in horticulture. The seeds sprouted but the seedlings died even though I cared for them the best I could. I also had one other failed attempt. Finally through sheer perseverance I've managed to get some to flower. I've always loved these flowers and now I've conquered the challenge of growing them. The flowers below are from the tall variety of Hollyhock (the old fashioned type) which is my favourite. I also have some of the more modern dwarf varieties planted but they are yet to flower. The tallest plant is now taller than me so it is over 6 foot 2 inches tall.






No comments:

Post a Comment